Friday, October 31, 2008

Philosophy Exams

I've been taking the wrong path again.

I've been zooming down the slick cultural highway of our civilization, merging into the changing lanes of career paths and zipping into gas stations which sell "Make Money and Be Happy" slogans for fuel. I've been drunk driving, after too many shots of "What will you do with that Major?" So, I'm swerving now, pulling over for a bit of a pit stop, because despite the blurred vision from the cocktails named success and progress, I can see the hang-over to end all hang-overs in the hazy distance we call "our future". See, this highway, ends in a cliff's edge, a sudden plunge which will break the mighty necks our self-esteemed governments, programs, and schools. And that death's stench reeks of paralytic poison-- I can just see the look of helplessness in our childrens' eyes when we tell them we've chewed up all the tree's to make toothpicks for our White stripe smiles, and drank up all the oceans to quench the gurgling fire of of technological growth in our ravenous bellies, and ate up all the snakes, ants, dingoes, zebras, elephants, tigers, lions and bears to make room for our hormone glutted cows and processed chicken.

But, I'm not the only one whose pulling over and I'm not the only one scratching his head wondering how it was we all misplaced our compasses and ended up on this interstate to hell. I'm not the only one who's eyeing the next break in traffic, hoping that it's not to late to get off this road and back into the clear, winding countryside again.

And maybe, just maybe, you're thinking about taking the turn-pike out to see the ocean, to wander through Kansas fields of wild wheat, or breath deepe the rarified air on mountain tops but the radio station keeps trying to convince you that you need that new I-pod , that our place at the peak of Creation is absolutely necessary, that if you just go on for a bit longer, everything will be okay.

Now, I could spend all day telling you about the destruction of our environment, our ignorance to the sacred nature of life, the sins of poverty, but I won't. Instead I'll remind you that on the highway, you trade in currency of broken homes, lonliness, and the deep rooted fear of your own worthlessness. Out there? Out there is an adventure full of stories waiting to be told. I promise nothing for you, save this: it will not be the same as the road you travel now. You can determine the worth you place in things; you determine the currency you trade in. I promise a difference; I promise a different view on the horizon.

Yes, I've been traveling the wrong path, but I think it's time to see the countryside again.

No comments: