Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I started learning Greek on Monday and am so far excited to see what comes of it. In 9 weeks I will be able to pick my way through anything in the Septuagint and the New Testament, as well as pretty much any 1st century Greek writing. Holy cow!

I also started reading the Bible today. I am embarking on a full read through of the Bible by December 31st of this year. Technically, we start in July, but this summer is jam packed, so I don't know how much time I'll have to read and reflect on 7 chapters every day, so I wanted to get a head start.

I also think I might have finally figured out a direction I'm comfortable heading with careers and schools and stuff. I think I might try to explore an anthropology of Christianity. A lot of the work that's been done has been either from a theological perspective, or from an anthropologist's eyes only. I'd like to see what happens when someone who is trained in Christianity and in anthropology takes a look at things like eucharist, baptism, or ordination. It's essentially taking to interpretive lenses and trying to ask how they inform each other. I need to do more research on this, but it looks like I'm headed to seminary next year. Not to be a pastor, mind you, but to get a firmer look at languages, bible, and Christian history. Weird.

No comments: