It's that time of year again, that time when Colorado calls me back one more time. I feel like the ghost of Christmas present, only here for the season and no longer. I look forward to this time all year, only to realize that I am filled with melancholy and heartache of seasons past whilst I'm here.
My friends have grown, some old, some young, and others just grown. Ryan is in love, Nate is wandering still, and the rest exist somewhere at the fringes of my social sight, almost over the horizon, mere shadows to my vision.
Katherine is gone from this place, her ghost no longer walks with me. There is goodness in this and there is the barest pang of something lost. No great thing, nor small thing; this news is just news, as cold and half-noticed as the trees in my front yard. The time between her and I is too far stretched for my heart to find meaning in her passing. I was not sure until today that the hole had healed; my heart has forgotten the which turns to take to reach her home.
Tonight, Orion hangs high overhead. In my memories, he is the guardian of this place, an ever present spirit who witnessed all the sour and saporous things which came to pass.
The night is a blue curtain and I wonder if only I could draw it back what I would see.
No comments:
Post a Comment