Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ode to My Lady Athena

O brazen Lady!
O goddess of my state!
What have I done to earn the blessing
Of your steely glaze?

What sacrifice have I laid before the altar
That you would gift me with such flame?
That you, almighty Athena, would feel contest from me?

I am neither Zeus, the master of the storm,
nor Apollo, guardian of the sun's light
Will never match great Hermes in prophecies
and cannot beat lord Hades and all his tangled fates

Name me Socrates instead

I desire not that you be conquered,
harbor no hope to see you wilt
My truest lady, protector of my home,
I long to see you burst, bud, and bloom

If one could bottle up the passion
Your warrior eyes could grant
I'd swallow that cobalt exilir
First in sips, then in greedy gulps

I'd imbibe until euphoric
high from too much heart
and toast your eternal spirit

Dear lady, dear Goddess, dear love
bless me not and bless me more
with eyes seething with such fierceness
For in such glances I surely die

Without them, I cannot live

No comments: